The purpose of the Music Ministry at Gresham Bible Church is to move the heart of the church closer to Jesus; to fix our gaze as a church on Jesus; to celebrate Jesus and His work of grace; and to sing songs that teach and uphold sound doctrine. The Sound & Media Team exists to serve the church by enhancing and helping to facilitate corporate worship with audio and visual aids.
We are always on the lookout for people who are willing to volunteer with the Music & Media Ministry. If music is a passion and a gift that you’ve been given, please share it with us! If you’d be willing to serve on the sound team or run the Sunday morning slides, let us know.
Do you sing or play an instrument? Do you have experience running sound or video? If so, and you would like to serve as part of the worship ministry at Gresham Bible, we would love to talk to you! Please read all of the information below, and contact Marc Peter with any questions or to discuss getting involved.
(Although helpful, no previous sound or slide experience needed. We’ll train you.)
We use Planning Center Services, an online application to plan our services, schedule volunteers, and communicate with team members.
Ministry Philosophy and Values
The Music Ministry is not a jam session for the weekend musician, or an opportunity to show everyone how cool or talented a person may be. Additionally, exceptional talent does not necessarily mean automatic inclusion as part of this ministry.
Participation in this ministry is an opportunity to use the gifts and abilities that God has given individuals, as part of a team, to humbly lead and serve the church in corporate worship. People who are a part of the Music & Media Ministry are committed to living a godly lifestyle and spiritual growth (as we would expect from any leader in the church). Music & Media Ministry participants are willing servants with the ability to give of their time, energy, talents, gifts and resources to help with our corporate worship services.
We value giving individuals an opportunity to participate, learn, grow, and develop. The Music Ministry Coordinator will discuss each person’s desire to participate and qualifications on an individual basis.
Guidelines and Responsibilities for Team Members
• We expect that members of the Music & Media Ministry show a commitment to the above ministry purpose and value statements, and that they agree with Gresham Bible Church’s beliefs and core values (see the “who we are” section of the website for more information).
• One aspect of being a part of the Music Ministry is that we are all leading the church in worship together. While not everyone will be the primary leader on a given week, everyone up front should be mindful that we are all leading the church in worship together as we express our own hearts in worship through music and song. If you’re helping with Music, Sound or Media, you are on the collective “worship team” and you are a worship leader. As such, the expectation is that your lifestyle matches biblical examples of godly living and devotion to growing in Christlikeness (Romans 12:1-8). That doesn’t mean we’re perfect. Far from it. But we are striving to live in loving obedience to God Who loved us first and saved us. It means we live Gospel-centered lives. We are redeemed and born again (John 3:3). And we’ve been given a new heart (Ezekiel 36:26).
• We value doing our best: What we do matters. It also matters how we do it! We’re not perfect and we’re not professionals. But we strive to do our best for the King of kings and for the edification of the saints.
• Be on time and prepared for practices and services.
Practices are Thursday evenings from 7:30 – 9:00 PM in The Study (downstairs) at the Church Office.
Sunday morning schedule:
8:30 – 9:30 :: Sound Set up
9:15 – 9:30 :: Musicians arrive to set up/tune up.
9:30 – 10:00 :: Sound Check / Spot rehearsals
10:00 – 10:15 :: All Team Meeting (Review Order of Service and pray together)
10:30 :: Service Starts
12:00 :: Service Ends – Tear down (all team members are encouraged to help)
• Have a humble and teachable attitude. Be willing to follow directions and able to work well with others as part of a team.
• Become familiar with and utilize the Planning Center website, and respond to scheduling requests in a timely manner.
• Learn new songs as assigned, practicing on your own at home.
• If a scheduling conflict occurs, it is your responsibility to contact the Music Ministry Coordinator with as much advance notice as possible to find a replacement. Many foreseeable conflicts may be avoided by blocking out dates on your profile in Planning Center.