- December 23, 10:30 am - 12:30 pm
Where We’ve Been
Gresham Bible Church began with a small group of people who believed that God was bringing them together to further the mission of Jesus in East Multnomah County. We were encouraged along the way by a wonderful partnership with an area church who provided wise oversight, prayer support, and a lump sum of money to help us get started. It was a perfect match; Cornerstone Church had a vision for planting churches and our lead elder, Vergil Brown, had a burning passion for church planting. After a few months of prayer and planning, we launched GBC on April 8, 2007. Since that time we have seen the Lord provide what is necessary to accomplish His purposes. We are amazed at the faithfulness of God and we are privileged to be counted worthy to participate in his plan of redemption. To the King of ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.
Where We’re Going
The X Marks of GBC: Our road map for making disciples
Articulating vision and values
- Jesus is the Chief Shepherd. We seek to honor Christ in all we do. Our methods and our message aim to make much of Jesus as we strive to be transformed into his image.
- Scripture is central. We have a high view of Scripture. Our teaching, structure, and our practice are shaped by the bible. The Scripture is not just a text we preach, it determines our goals and informs how we go about making disciples.
- Prayer is indispensible. We are a church that prays. We pray because we depend on God. Prayer is our shameless admission that we can do nothing without Him.
- Relationships are huge. We strive to cultivate a culture of discipleship; discipleship that is not dependent on programs but relationships.
- Justice and mercy matter. We seek to display God’s heart for justice by pursuing gospel reconciliation across: racial, economic, generational and political divides. And by being a blessing to the “least of these” in our community; especially to the unborn and the orphan.
- Outreach is essential. We are committed to spreading the gospel in word and deed. We aim to be a mid-sized church with one worship service that invests in missions and church planting to multiply the kingdom.
- Wisdom with money is important. We are committed to wisely stewarding the resources the Lord has entrusted to our care. We are not opposed to a building but we are opposed to saddling the church with cumbersome debt.
- Involvement is key. Church membership plays an important role in the way our church functions. Members carry out the mission by growing, giving and going. And have the responsibility of being devoted to their spiritual growth and the growth of fellow members.
- Simplicity is a virtue. We are a simple church with a serious devotion to Jesus. “Mere” describes the way we do ministry. We have core programs that we believe are essential to our mission and are only interested in initiating new ministries that further the mission of the church.
- The gathering of the saints is imperative. Formal gatherings on the Lord’s Day and informal gatherings throughout the week are key means of building up the church.